How MLA is funded
MLA is primarily funded by transaction levies paid on livestock sales by producers. The Australian Government also contributes a dollar for each dollar MLA spends in R&D. This is supplemented by cooperative contributions from individual processors, wholesalers, foodservice operators and retailers. Processors and live animal exporters also pay levies under contract to MLA.
MLA is not the only beneficiary of transaction levies - it is one of three organisations, including Animal Health Australia and the National Residue Survey, that receive a proportion of the funds.
Livestock transaction levies
Transaction levies are charged on the sale of livestock (cattle, sheep and goats). The money raised is invested back into the industry to assist in research and development, marketing and market access activities.
Transaction levy collection
Changes to levies are generally initiated by the industry peak bodies, following consultation with industry, and implemented and collected by the Australian Government.
Transaction levy distribution
Income from the levies is distributed amongst Animal Health Australia, Australian National Residue Survey and MLA.
Transaction levy scale
- Levies paid = $0 - $29,088 (One vote for each $1.00 received by MLA)
- Levies paid = $29,089 - $87,263 (29,088 votes + 0.75 votes for each $1.00 received in excess of $29,088)
- Levies paid = $87,264 or more (72,719 votes + 0.5 votes for each $1.00 received in excess of $87,263)
Levies paid to LiveCorp and Australian Meat Processor Corporation are not included for the purpose of calculating voting entitlements.
Transaction levy amounts
Transaction levies are different for cattle, sheep and goats. The levies charged on livestock sales are shown on your agent's or processor's sale receipts.
Cattle and calves
Sheep and lambs
- Cattle $5.00 per head
- Grain-fed cattle $5.00 per head
- Bobby calves 90c per head
- Charges occur when the sale price is greater than $5.00
- Sheep 2% of sale price (maximum 20c)
- Lambs 2% of sale price (maximum $1.50)
- Where the is no defined sale price
- Sheep 20c per head
- Lambs 80c per head
Levies and Revenue Service office
- Central office (Canberra) 1800 020 619
- NSW/ACT 1800 625 103
- QLD 1800 647 801
- SA/NT 1800 814 961
- VIC/TAS: 1800 683 839
- WA 1800 895 506
NB: The Levies Revenue Service does not hold information on how many levies a producer has paid.