Australia's beef industry
Australia is one of the world's most efficient producers of cattle and the world's third largest exporter of beef. The off-farm meat value of Australia's beef industry is $12.75 billion. The gross value of Australian cattle and calf production was estimated at $7.7 billion.
- Australia's national cattle herd stands at 29.3 million head (*).
- 76,807 properties with cattle (*).
- 13.4 million beef cows and heifers (*).
- The beef industry accounts for 55% of all farms with agricultural activity (*).
- The red meat industry employs approximately 200,000 workers across farm, processing and retail.
- Australia produced around 2.5 million tonnes of beef and veal in 2013-14 (**).
- 2.6 million grainfed cattle were marketed in 2013-14 (30% of all adult cattle slaughtered).
- The value of Australian cattle and calf production (including live export) is approximately $7.7 billion (*).
- Cattle contributed 16% of the total farm value of $47.9 billion in 2012-13.
- The direct contribution of beef and live cattle to gross domestic product is approximately 1%.
- Queensland is the biggest producer of beef and veal.
- Australia has 4% of the world cattle inventory and is the world's seventh largest beef producer.
- Australia produces 4% of the world's beef supply and is the third largest beef exporter.
- Domestic expenditure on beef was estimated at $6.3 billion in 2013-14 (MLA estimate)
- Australians ate around 30.9kg per person in 2013-14 (MLA estimate).
- Around 95.5% of Australian fresh meat buyers purchased beef in 2014 (AC Nielsen Homescan).
- In 2013-14 Australia exported 70% of its total beef and veal production more than 100 countries (***).
- The value of total beef and veal exports in 2013-14 was $6.45 billion (**).
- The value of Australia's live cattle exports in 2013-14 was $1.05 billion (**).
- The beef industry contributes 13% to total Australian farm exports.
- Australia's largest export market is Japan, followed by the US and South Korea (***).
Download the latest Cattle Fast Facts
Northern and southern cattle industries
Northern and southern beef production enterprises have been strong performers among broadacre agricultural enterprises in recent years.
Read the full northern beef situation analysis report
Read the full southern beef situation analysis report
Cattle numbers by natural resource management region
View the cattle distribution map
All figures based on MLA/DAFF/ABS/ABARE 2013-14 unless otherwise stated.
* - ABS Agricultural commodities - figures for 30 June 2014
** - latest available ABS data - figures for fiscal year 2013-14
*** - latest available DAFF data - figures for fiscal year 2013-14
Per capita consumption figures based on an MLA estimate 2014