The Australian Lot Feeders' Association (ALFA) and MLA conduct a quarterly lotfeeding survey to monitor trends in the lotfeeding sector.
Key findings from the survey included:
- Cattle marketings out of Australian feedlots during 2010-11 increased 5% year-on-year, to 2.54 million head.
- Due to the comparatively lower grassfed cattle turnoff for the past year (adult cattle falling 1% year-on-year), cattle finished on grain accounted for 34% of the total adult slaughter for 2010-11, an increase from 33% in the previous year.
- Numbers on feed during the June quarter remained stable on last year, at 792,446 head, while turnoff for the quarter totalled 660,097 head - a rise of 18% year-on-year.
- While the number of cattle on feed remained relatively stable during the quarter, trading conditions deteriorated.
- Despite the difficult trading environment, overall grainfed beef exports totalled 53,431 tonnes swt in the June quarter, a rise of 8% year-on-year and 5% on the previous quarter.
Read the full copy of the lotfeeding brief