BeefUp Forums set for Kimberley and Pilbara regions
18 July 2018
Lifting the performance of northern breeding herds will be among the many beef industry topics covered at Meat & Livestock Australia’s (MLA) BeefUp Forums in the Kimberley and Pilbara regions of Western Australia.
Hosted by MLA and supported by the North Australia Beef Research Council (NABRC), the one-day BeefUp Forums will be held in Broome on 30 July, and Karratha on 1 August.
The events will update producers on the latest regionally-relevant cattle research and provide beef producers with information and tools they can use in their businesses.
Among the presenters at the WA forums will be Dr John Bertram, who will discuss lifting the performance of breeding herds, while Professor Ben Hayes will discuss using genomics to make breeding decisions.
The forums are also designed to seek direct input from northern beef producers to help drive the future direction of MLA’s levy-payer funded research, development and adoption programs.
Topics and presenters at both BeefUp Forums include:
- Lifting the performance of breeding herds – Dr John Bertram
- Quick, easy and accurate breeding decisions with genomics – Professor Ben Hayes, QAAFI
- Water monitoring made easy – Cameron Young, FarmBot
- Northern beef development update – Department of Primary Industries and Regional Development
- New generation smart ear tags – David Smith, Ceres Tag
- Northern Australia climate program: rangelands NRM overview – Grey Mackay
- Improving animal welfare: update including tick vaccination and pain relief – Johann Schröder, MLA
The Karratha BeefUp Forum will also include a session on ‘Best practice Mesquite and Parkinsonia control methods against new and emerging technologies’, presented by Pilbara Mesquite Management Committee Project Manager, Jo Kuiper.
The cost to attend the BeefUp Forums is $20 and includes morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea and a barbecue dinner. Registration is essential.
Register for the Broome BeefUp Forum
Register for the Karratha BeefUp Forum
For more information about any of the BeefUp Forums, contact Barb Bishop on 0408 999 009 or email Barb.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?