Changes to LPA requirements
24 August 2017
From 1 October 2017, producers will need to meet new biosecurity and animal welfare requirements and complete a three-yearly assessment to continue to be LPA accredited.
The changes to the LPA program stem from the recent SAFEMEAT Initiatives Review and are applicable to all red meat producers accredited with LPA.
Here’s a summary of what you need to do:
Before 1 October
- Familiarise yourself with the new biosecurity and animal welfare requirements. You can complete online training through LPA Learning, which has dedicated modules for biosecurity and animal welfare, as well as all of the other LPA elements.
- Develop your Farm Biosecurity Plan (download a template here).
- Learn more about the changes to LPA by reading the frequently asked questions here.
From 1 October
- Check when your LPA accreditation is due to be renewed.
- Confirm that your on-farm systems meet the new requirements.
- Ensure that your Farm Biosecurity Plan is in place.
- Check that your on-farm handling of livestock is consistent with the Australian Animal Welfare Standards and Guidelines for cattle, sheep or goats.
- Complete the assessment and pay the fee when your accreditation is due.
These changes are designed to ensure you can have access to the maximum number of markets for your livestock, and will give you the evidence to stand by what you sell.
Want more information?
- Information packs are being posted to all accredited LPA producers in coming weeks. The information pack includes details on the upcoming changes and materials to assist you to meet the new requirements, including fact sheets and a Farm Biosecurity Plan template. To make sure you receive your pack, check your address details are current by logging in to the LPA Service Centre: lpa.nlis.com.au.
- The Livestock Biosecurity Network (LBN) is holding biosecurity planning workshops across Australia over coming weeks. Information will be provided on Johne's Beef Assurance Score (J-BAS) and LPA, along with a workshop on producing an on-farm biosecurity plan. For a full list of upcoming events, visit the LBN’s calendar.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?