Four steps to finding the right ram
31 July 2015
Developed by the MLA-funded Sheep CRC, RamSelect.com.au will allow commercial producers to purchase rams using Australian Sheep Breeding Values (ASBVs), without the need for a detailed understanding of the data.
Here are the steps producers need to take to find the right genetics for their production goals:
1. Using RamSelect.com.au on your phone, tablet or computer, follow a few simple prompts and slider bars to define:
- the breed and type of rams required
- the number of rams to be placed in the ranked list
- the region and/or stud to search
- the type of sale you want to attend – auction and/or private treaty
- the relative emphasis on traits that drive profit in different production systems
2. The app then processes data using ASBVs from the MERINOSELECT , LAMBPLAN and DOHNE databases to align with your breeding objectives. The app undertakes complex calculations in real time as users alter the settings for their specific breeding objectives.
3. The user is then provided with a list of rams ranked for their merit against these criteria, which can be saved on a tablet or smart phone, or printed for sale day.
4. After the sale day, the user is reminded to return to RamSelect.com.au to save the list of rams purchased. In future years this information will be used to benchmark the flock and inform future ram purchases.
A reminder for ram breeders
The success of RamSelect.com.au relies on breeders keeping data and sale information up to date on the Sheep Genetics site.
In order for potential buyers to be able to find those rams suited to their breeding objectives, breeders must identify all rams that are for sale on the Sheep Genetics database and should specify whether rams are for sale by auction or private treaty. This information will be used to create an electronic sale catalogue that can be searched using RamSelect.com.au.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?