The latest methods for mating success
03 March 2016
Want to learn how to improve your herd’s reproductive efficiency in just a day?
Granted it takes longer to apply, but the latest strategies for improving a beef-breeding enterprise’s profitability by streamlining reproductive efficiency are on offer at the next ReproActive training workshop to be held at ‘Clogheen’, Mortlake on 16 March in partnership with MLA's More Beef From Pastures program.
Project Leader Darren Hickey, of the BetterBeef Network, described the speakers as “first class” with experts such Dr John Webb Ware, of the Mackinnon Project,
Dr Andrew Hancock, of Zoetis Australia and Dr Craig Wood, senior partner of the Terang and Mortlake Veterinary Clinic, focusing on the theoretical and practical aspects of assessing critical mating weights, tightening joining periods, bull management and reproductive diseases.
Following the presentations and an "in-the-yards" session in the afternoon, producers will be better equipped to:
- Understand the significance of accurately assessing critical mating weights in heifers and mature cows.
- Accurately assess body condition score and how to use this information to allocate feed resources more efficiently and to improve reproductive performance in cows and bulls.
- Harness the power of tight joining periods by understanding the industry’s recommended joining periods for heifers and mature cows and knowing the factors to be considered when deciding on a joining period and how to optimise joining periods.
- Know what the different critical mating weights are for British breeds, Euro’s and Bos indicus.
- Manage the health of bulls and conduct pre-joining assessments.
- Use rib fat depth is a tool and to understand its affect on conception rates.
The ReproActive workshop is at ‘Clogheen’, 4006 Hopkins Highway, Mortlake, Victoria on March 16 from 8.30am to 1pm.
The cost is $40 and includes the ReproActive resource kit and lunch and registrations can be made online.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?