2015 Australian goat industry overview
19 April 2016
MLA recently released the 2015 annual summary of the Australian goat industry.
Major highlights include:
- Strong international demand and a lower A$ assisted Australian goat export values increasing (1%) from year-ago levels – to $243.2 million.
- In 2015, Australian goat slaughter surpassed the previous year’s record by 1%, reaching 2.14 million head – increasing 8% from the five-year average (ABS).
- Goat production totalled 32,746 tonnes cwt, down 1% year-on-year. Victoria remained the major producing state, increasing 10% from year-ago levels – at 14,312 tonnes cwt (ABS). Offsetting the Victorian rise was a decline in production across other major producing states such as Queensland and SA.
- Goatmeat export volumes decreased 16% year-on-year, to 29,965 tonnes swt. Despite lowering 8% year-on-year, the US remained the largest recipient of shipments – with over 17,600 tonnes swt exported. The lower export volumes are more than likely reflective of growing domestic demand for goat meat.
- Live goat exports increased 2% from the previous year, at 90,190 head – with those to Malaysia contributing to more than 90% of total shipments (84,380 head).
To read more on the 2015 Australian goat Industry summary, please click here.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?