2016 Sheep Industry Fast Facts released
06 September 2016
MLA has recently released Australia’s Sheep Industry Fast Facts 2016, which provides producers and stakeholders with a snapshot of the latest industry data, including flock size, exports, production, consumption and Australia’s position relative to other countries.
Some of the highlights for 2015-16 are:
- Australia exported just over 241,900 tonnes swt of lamb and 147,800 tonnes swt of mutton (DA).
- Australia produced 516,366 tonnes cwt of lamb and 196,040 tonnes cwt of mutton (ABS).
- The gross value of Australian lamb and mutton production is estimated at $3.3 billion (ABARES).
- Australia exported 56% of total Australian lamb production and 91% of total Australian mutton production (DA, ABS).
- Australians ate around 9.5kg of lamb and 0.7kg of mutton per person – among the highest sheepmeat consumption in the world (MLA estimates).
To access the latest sheep industry fast facts, click here.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?