Friday daily cattle summary
08 April 2016
Throughput at Roma Prime increased substantially this week, yarding 1,210 head. Quality was mixed across the offering, with prime cattle in good supply. Processor competition was limited on grown heifer lines, while cows trended cheaper week-on-week.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 278¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy D4 grown heifers to slaughter were lowered 5¢, averaging 254¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same orders were back 10¢, averaging 218¢/kg
Numbers at Dubbo increased 47%, to 5,250 head. Drier conditions saw an increase in supply across all categories, with quality mixed across the yarding. Finished local lines were well represented, while those from western regions were in much plainer condition.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 310¢, back 5¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers were 19¢ dearer, averaging 285¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were back 7¢, averaging 296¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were 15¢ lower, averaging 216¢/kg
Consignments at Bairnsdale increased 74%, to 1,195 head. Export lines made up the majority of the yarding this week, with the market holding firm to easier in places. A full field of buyers were present, with quality improving across all prime cattle categories.
- Heavy C3 vealer steers to processors jumped 1¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to the same order dropped 1¢, to 278¢/kg
- Heavy D3 bullocks to slaughter eased 2¢, averaging 286¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were back 13¢, averaging 226¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 566.50¢, decreasing 2.50¢/kg on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were up 2¢, to 306¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, at 296¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, at 282¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 3¢, on 211¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were steady, on 308¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?