Friday daily cattle summary
18 March 2016
Roma Prime throughput declined 3% this week, to 878 head. Prime cattle were mixed in quality, with a few good lines amongst what were mostly over and under conditioned cattle. Processors that attended set the platform, with large interest seen for large framed cows.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors lowered 2¢/kg, averaging 282¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to slaughter were 3¢ dearer, averaging 269¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors eased 6¢, averaging 220¢/kg
Numbers at Dubbo decreased 29%, to 3,115 head. Cattle from far western regions continued to make up the majority of the yarding, with a good selection of prime cattle seen across all categories.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed averaged 316¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder heifers eased 2¢, averaging 293¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were up 4¢, averaging 290¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were 3¢ lower, averaging 213¢/kg
Consignments at Bairnsdale declined 47%, to 599 head. Most of the usual buying group operated in a generally dearer market week-on-week, with quality good overall. Trade and grown steer lines were in particularly good condition, with heavy vealers selling firm to dearer in places.
- Heavy C3 vealer heifers to slaughter averaged 324¢, up 12¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to processors were 5¢ dearer, averaging 275¢/kg
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 284¢, up 8¢/kg
- Heavy D3 bullocks to processors jumped 7¢, averaging 277¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) increased 1.25¢ on where it finished the previous day, at 587.25¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were steady on 313¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were steady on 282¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, at 285¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were steady on 215¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held firm, at 313¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?