Friday daily cattle summary
27 May 2016
Consignments at Roma Prime increased 69% this week, at 921 head. Grown steers, bullocks and cows were all well supplied, resulting in strong competition from export processors. Grown heifers recorded firm support from domestic processor buyers, with the market mixed overall.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors averaged 286¢, up 5¢/kg
- Light D4 grown heifers to slaughter settled 2¢ dearer, averaging 267¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to the same orders were up 6¢, averaging 220¢/kg
Throughput at Dubbo decreased 35%, to 1,710 head. Well finished young cattle were mixed across the penning, with grown steers following a similar trend. Plainer lines from Southern Queensland and far west NSW were well represented, with quality amongst cow sections varying throughout the sale.
- Light C3 vealer heifers to processors settled 1¢ lower, averaging 309¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 329¢, up 13¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter jumped 9¢, averaging 231¢/kg
Cattle numbers at Bairnsdale decreased 10%, to 1,150 head. Export sections made up the bulk of the yarding, with the usual buying group present and active in the generally firmer market. Quality varied across most categories, and plainer lines were well supplied week-on-week.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors eased 3¢, averaging 283¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter averaged 308¢, back 3¢/kg
- Heavy D2 cows to the same orders gained 10¢, averaging 217¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 567.75¢, up 1¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were firm, on 318¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 3¢, on 297¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 4¢, on 286¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 216¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, on 313¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?