Friday daily cattle summary
29 April 2016
Cattle throughput at Roma Prime decreased 62% this week, to 402 head. A full panel of processor buyers filled the stands, however some operating more selectively. Bullocks sold to an easier trend, with grown heifers in shorter supply.
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 258¢, back 5¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter were 5¢ lower, averaging 264¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same orders eased 2¢, averaging 213¢/kg
Consignments at Dubbo decreased 12%, to 2,910 head. Quality lifted week-on-week, with some good drafts of well finished bullocks and cows on offer. Those suitable to the trade also presented in good condition, with most buyers operating in a stronger market overall.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to feed were 10¢ dearer, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 286¢, up 4¢/kg
- Light D2 cows to restockers averaged 196¢, up 26¢, while heavy D4 lines to processors were 7¢ dearer, at 212¢/kg
Numbers at Bairnsdale increased 86%, to 1,168 head. Export categories along with younger lines made up the bulk of the yarding this week, with the usual buying group operating in a mixed market overall. Quality eased, with drafts of prime cattle in short supply.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 277¢, back 10¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to slaughter were 3¢ dearer, averaging 289¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to the same orders sold to 250¢, averaging 224¢, and up 3¢/kg
At the close of Thursday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 545.75¢, back 0.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers held steady, on 306¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, on 273¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 4¢, at 285¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, on 196¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 296¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?