Thursday daily cattle summary
18 February 2016
Throughput at Dalby increased 20%, to 4,296 head, with large runs again coming in from Bourke. Export buyer attendance was good but some were not operating fully, and bullocks and heavy cows eased. Restockers and feeder buyers were active and young cattle sold to a mixed trend.
- C1 calves (80kg+) to restockers sold from 388¢ to 448¢, to average 413¢/kg
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 6¢, averaging 356¢, while medium weights to feeder orders jumped 11¢, averaging 336¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 7¢, averaging 321¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter slipped 13¢, averaging 279¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows averaged 233¢, back 9¢/kg week-on-week
Consignments at Casino increased 9%, to 1,900 head, with good runs of quality prime milk veal offered.
- Medium (200-280kg) C2 vealer steers to restockers lifted 16¢, averaging 354¢ and selling to a top of 387¢/kg
- The same weight and condition lines of heifers to slaughter improved 4¢, averaging 330¢ and selling from 318¢ to 340¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors increased 7¢, averaging 213¢/kg
Leongatha yarded 2,400 head, up 4% week-on-week, with mostly export lines on offer. The usual buyers were operating in a solid market.
- Medium D2 yearling heifers to restockers made 250¢/kg
- D3 bullocks were steady, averaging 286¢ and selling to 290¢/kg
- Medium D3 grown heifers lifted 16¢, averaging 270¢/kg
- Similar weight D3 manufacturing steers gained 4¢, averaging 276¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows were firm, at 177¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at a record 605.75¢, up 0.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were steady, at 307¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers improved 5¢, to 279¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers eased 3¢, to 286¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows gained 2¢, to average 227¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers improved 2¢, to 327¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?