Thursday daily cattle summary
02 June 2016
Dalby cattle yardings decreased 28% week-on-week, to 4,644 head. Forecast rain across the area encouraged restockers, with all the regular export and feeder buyers in attendance, along with some additional interstate support. Conditions improved and held firm in places, with light weight yearling steers finishing dearer.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 326¢, up 18¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers settled 17¢ dearer, averaging 285¢, while medium weights to feed were up 8¢, on 289¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 243¢, up 13¢/kg
Throughput at Casino increased 14%, to 1,760 head. Medium weight vealer lines made up the bulk of the younger categories, with light and heavy weights also well supplied. Quality was fairly good, with prime milk sections well represented, and the influence of some plainer types in parts.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 311¢, up 10¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors jumped 12¢, to 279¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter averaged 225¢, up 8¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool increased 8%, to 955 head. Cattle suitable to export were in good supply, with young cattle also on offer to the regular buyers that attended. Quality was mostly plain to average as the market fluctuated across most categories, with a few drafts of vealers and grown steers showing better condition.
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors averaged 311¢/kg
- Light D2 grown dairy heifers eased 16¢, averaging 230¢/kg
- Medium D1 dairy cows averaged 180¢, while heavy lines eased 4¢, averaging 184¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 582¢, up 5¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 320¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 13¢, on 298¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held firm, on 292¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 220¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 3¢, on 319¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?