Thursday daily cattle summary
05 May 2016
Consignments at Dalby decreased 12% this week, to 3,849 head. Scattered rainfall recorded saw numbers ease, with quality fair to good across prime cattle sections. Store lines were mixed, with a full panel of export processors operating in a firm to dearer market.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 325¢, up 18¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed averaged 289¢, up 6¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were 44¢ dearer, averaging 290¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 274¢, up 3¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter were 15¢ dearer, averaging 208¢/kg
Throughput at Casino increased 13%, to 1,210 head. Light veal were fairly well represented, with a large percentage of medium weights on offer. Quality across young cattle lines were mixed, with some good drafts of well finished milk veal penned.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers were 21¢ dearer, averaging 305¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 274¢, up 1¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter averaged 191¢, up 3¢/kg
Warrnambool cattle numbers increased 21%, to 967 head. Demand lowered this week, with the regular buyers operating more selectively across plainer lines, resulting in a cheaper trend. Young cattle in better condition sold firm to slightly easier in places, with cows making up the bulk of the yarding.
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 270¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows averaged 138¢, back 13¢/kg
- Heavy D1 cows were 11¢ lower, averaging 170¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 567¢, up 5¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, to 310¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 273¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 6¢, on 280¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 3¢, on 201¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 4¢, at 308¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?