Thursday daily cattle summary
07 April 2016
Throughput at Dalby increased 61% this week, with 4,033 head yarded. All of the regular buyers attended, however not all exporters were operating. Young light cattle sold to strong demand, with a cheaper trend recorded week-on-week.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 309¢, back 1¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers were 14¢ dearer, averaging 219¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to processors were 1¢ dearer, averaging 275¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter eased 2¢, averaging 230¢/kg
Casino numbers increased 12%, to 1,340 head. Quality across the young cattle was mixed, with some good drafts of prime milk veal penned. Medium weight vealer lines were well supplied, along with a notable percentage of light yearlings, with the market trending cheaper overall.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 9¢, averaging 303¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were 10¢ lower, 279¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter averaged 209¢, back 7¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool decreased 24%, to 1,119 head. Quality remained mixed across the pen, with most of the regular buyers in attendance. Grown steer lines presented in good condition, while younger cattle were mostly poor to average. Prices eased this week, with plainer quality most affected.
- Medium D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 244¢, back 21¢/kg
- Heavy C3 bullocks to processors averaged 289¢, back 1¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows averaged 136¢, down 35¢, while heavy E1 dairy lines were 10¢ lower, averaging 169¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 569¢, decreasing 2.25¢/kg on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were back 3¢, to 304¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 294¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 280¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, on 214¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were steady, on 308¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?