Thursday daily cattle summary
14 April 2016
Numbers at Dalby held steady this week, with 4,034 head yarded. All the usual buyers were in attendance, with the return of a southern exporter increasing competition. Isolated showers in some areas inspired restocker activity, with the market mixed overall.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 326¢, up 2¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were up 3¢, averaging 294¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were 4¢ dearer, averaging 283¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 216¢, back 14¢/kg
Casino cattle throughput decreased 7%, to 1,240 head. The market held firm to slightly dearer, with medium weight vealer lines well supplied, along with a fair amount of lighter categories. Quality across vealer drafts was mixed, with several runs of plainer cattle seen across the sale.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 5¢, averaging 298¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors eased 1¢, averaging 278¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 206¢, back 13¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool declined 13%, to 972 head. Quality across the majority of the offering was average to poor, with prices on young cattle lines fluctuating throughout the sale. Grown steers trended cheaper, while heifer categories held firm week-on-week.
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 305¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to processors averaged 140¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy E1 cows to slaughter were 13¢ lower, averaging 157¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 556.75¢/kg cwt, holding steady on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were back 1¢, to 304¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 2¢, on 286¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, at 282¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 5¢, on 198¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers held steady on 300¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?