Thursday daily cattle summary
19 May 2016
Consignments at Dalby increased 43% this week, to 6,389 head. Quality across young cattle lines eased week-on-week, with lighter weights well supplied. Heavy cow categories were also well represented, with export buyers operating and restockers more selective.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 321¢, back 18¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were 3¢ lower, averaging 313¢, while medium C2 lines to feed averaged 295¢, back 5¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restocker sold to 292¢, averaging 277¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors jumped 6¢, averaging 234¢/kg
Casino cattle throughput increased 8%, to 1,588 head. The market held mostly firm week-on-week, with vealer drafts making up the bulk of the offering, and quality improving overall. This was seen particularly throughout well finished heavy weight veal, with a fair number of plainer lines also penned.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers settled 6¢ lower, averaging 294¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 267¢, up 2¢/kg
- Heavy C4 bullocks to slaughter held firm, averaging 260¢/kg
Throughput at Warrnambool increased 9%, to 987 head. An increase in cow supplies saw overall yardings larger on the last sale, with quality varying across the offering. A lighter trend was evident in most categories, with the regular buyers displaying a firm level of competition, resulting in steady to slightly dearer conditions.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 288¢, and sold to 330¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows averaged 144¢, finishing 2¢/kg dearer
- Heavy E1 dairy cows sold to 170¢, averaging 158¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 570¢, back 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 5¢, on 313¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 4¢, on 287¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 283¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 209¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 2¢, at 311¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?