Thursday daily cattle summary
21 April 2016
Dalby cattle numbers increased 42% this week, to 5,728 head. Most of the regular buyers were in attendance, with restockers active in the market, however not all export buyers operated fully. Yearling lines dominated the yarding, resulting in a cheaper trend, with most suited to feeder and restocker buyers.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers lowered 8¢, averaging 318¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed averaged 275¢, back 10¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were 5¢ dearer, averaging 220¢/kg
Throughput at Casino increased 5%, to 1,300 head. Quality across the yarding was mixed, with light and medium weight vealers well supplied. Some good runs of well-finished vealers were penned, with an increased number of plainer cattle seen week-on-week.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 5¢, averaging 293¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 277¢/kg, back 1¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 1¢, averaging 202¢/kg
Consignments at Leongatha decreased 22%, to 1,597 head. The usual buying group operated keenly across most categories, with a stronger trend underlining the sale. Quality was plain, with light drafts in good supply and a limited selection of prime cattle seen throughout.
- Heavy D3 yearling heifers to processors were up 5¢, averaging 282¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to slaughter were 7¢ dearer, averaging 294¢/kg
- Medium E1 cows to the same orders jumped 14¢, averaging 160¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 546.75¢, back 5.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers were up 4¢, at 303¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 4¢, to 275¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, at 278¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, at 196¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 3¢, to 296¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?