Thursday daily cattle summary
24 March 2016
Throughput at Dalby decreased 47% this week, to 2,809 head. Despite the shorter week, and an easing in prices, the usual field of buyers were present, however not all operating. Isolated showers saw restockers active in the market, with young light weight yearling lines selling to a dearer trend.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 316¢, back 4¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers were 2¢ lower, averaging 302¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were 6¢ dearer, averaging 236¢/kg
Casino cattle numbers decreased significantly, yarding 450 head. Producers withheld stock with only one day to process prior to the break, with young cattle making up the majority. Quality was good, with a handful of plainer lines seen throughout and all the usual buyers present.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were 5¢ dearer, averaging 320¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were 2¢ lower, averaging 303¢/kg
Consignments at Moss Vale decreased 39% week-on-week, to 748 head. Quality held firm, with all the usual buyers in attendance and operating. Prime trade and vealer cattle were in good supply, resulting in a dearer trend.
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers held firm, averaging 300¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed eased 1¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to slaughter were 8¢ dearer, averaging 221¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) increased 1.50¢ on where it finished the previous day, at 584.50¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were back 2¢, at 312¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held steady on 279¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 1¢, on 289¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 219¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, at 312¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?