Thursday daily cattle summary
26 May 2016
Cattle numbers at Dalby increased 1% this week, to 6,475 head. Most buyers were in attendance, with restocker activity improving, despite the dry seasonal conditions. Higher feeder demand resulted in dearer prices on medium and heavy weight yearling lines, with cows to restockers following a similar trend.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 307¢, up 12¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers finished 10¢ lower, averaging 282¢/kg
- Light C3 grown heifers to processors were up 16¢, averaging 251¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 230¢, back 4¢/kg
Throughput decreased 3% at Casino, yarding 1,540 head. Younger lines made up the bulk of the offering, with medium and heavy weight vealers well supplied. Quality across young cattle sections improved, with fewer plainer cattle penned week-on-week.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers settled 7¢ dearer, averaging 301¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors averaged 266¢, back 1¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter finished 8¢ dearer, averaging 203¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool decreased 10%, to 887 head. Quality across the offering was notably mixed, with the usual array of buyers present and active. Cow sections recorded the most significant improvement, settling dearer, with grown cattle categories holding firm.
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were up 19¢, averaging 307¢/kg
- Heavy C2 grown steers to slaughter averaged 296¢, up 21¢/kg
- Heavy E1 dairy cows finished 16¢ higher, averaging 174¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 566.75¢, back 0.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 4¢, on 318¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 9¢, on 294¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 282¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 215¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, on 312¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?