Thursday daily cattle summary
31 March 2016
Numbers at Dalby decreased 11% this week, to 2,507 head. Quality varied across the yarding, with a decline in export buyer attendance week-on-week. Fewer feeder buyers attended, resulting in an easier price trend.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers eased 3¢, averaging 338¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers were 8¢ lower, averaging 307¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 280¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were 4¢ lower, averaging 232¢/kg
Casino throughput nearly doubled week-on-week, with 1,200 head yarded. Quality was good across young cattle lines, with medium weight vealers well supplied, and yearling categories limited. There was a reasonable number of cows penned, with an increase in plainer cattle seen throughout the sale.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to restockers were 8¢ lower, averaging 311¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were 14¢ lower, averaging 289¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter averaged 194¢, up 2¢/kg
Consignments at Warrnambool decreased 3%, to 1,478 head. Quality continued to vary across the offering, with finished cattle in good supply. Most of the usual buyers were present, however not all operated fully, in what was a firmer to slightly dearer market.
- Light D1 yearling heifers to restockers were 63¢ dearer, averaging 243¢/kg
- Heavy C3 bullocks to processors were up 5¢, averaging 291¢/kg
- Heavy E1 cows to slaughter jump 5¢, averaging 179¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 575.50¢, back 3.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished yesterday
- Trade steers were up 1¢, at 320¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 1¢, at 294¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 2¢, on 282¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were steady, at 218¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 4¢, on 311¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?