Thursday daily sheep summary
02 June 2016
Lamb throughput at Hamilton increased 23% this week, to 7,201 head. Quality ranged from average to very good across the offering, with all the regular buyers in attendance. Generally, the market continued a steady course, with most prices for light and medium trade weights finishing firm, while better conditioned heavy lambs settled slightly dearer.
Mutton consignments increased 24%, to 5,967 head. Quality was mixed overall, with a heavier offering of sheep week-on-week.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs were back 4¢, averaging 609¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs averaged 3¢ lower, at 608¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs were up 15¢, to 605¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score first-cross ewes jumped 4¢, to 368¢/kg cwt
CTLX lamb numbers increased 44%, to 11,250 head. Quality across most categories was notably mixed, with trade and heavy weight lines in fair supply, along with a large offering of light weight store lambs. Lighter sections to processors were dearer, with heavy weight categories following a similar trend.
Mutton throughput increased 5%, to 2,000 head. Quality varied throughout the sale, with a limited selection of prime sheep penned.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers jumped 33¢, to 672¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors gained 9¢, on 605¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 613¢, up 12¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes jumped 11¢, to 382¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator gained 7¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 617¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs held firm, on 564¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 1¢, to 584¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 1¢, to 592¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were steady, on 605¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 1¢ higher at 385¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?