Thursday daily sheep summary
21 April 2016
Lamb numbers at CTLX decreased 5% this week, to 12,000 head. Quality remained mixed across the yarding, with heavy and trade weights presenting in good condition. The usual buyers operated keenly in the firm to dearer market, with trade lines making up the majority and store categories also well supplied.
Mutton throughput increased 46%, to 6,150 head. Light Merino ewes sold to a dearer trend, with medium weight first-cross ewes following a similar trend.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers were 16¢ lower, on 491¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors averaged 501¢, up 17¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were 15¢ dearer, at 500¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score first cross ewes averaged 291¢, up 11¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Hamilton increased 26%, to 9,114 head. Quality varied across all categories, with the continued dry season showing its effect throughout the pen. Medium and heavy trade weight lines presented in good condition, with the usual buyers present and active.
Mutton throughput decreased 26%, to 4,554 head. Quality was mixed, with only a limited number of Merino wethers penned.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to processors eased 38¢, on 516¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter slipped 5¢, on 528¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to processors lost 1¢, at 495¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score first-cross ewes eased 15¢, averaging 289¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished at 489¢, back 17¢/kg cwt on where it finished yesterday.
- Merino lambs were back 3¢, at 466¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs held firm on 485¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 2¢, at 507¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 1¢, at 502¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator decreased 2¢, to 318¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?