Thursday daily sheep summary
28 April 2016
Lamb numbers at CTLX increased slightly this week, to 12,025 head. Quality was much plainer across all categories, with some drafts presenting in excellent condition. Heavy lines were limited, with the usual buyers active in a cheaper market.
Mutton throughput declined 13%, to 5,325 head. Quality varied across the penning, with the market trending cheaper overall.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to processors jumped 43¢, on 508¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to restockers eased 11¢, on 498¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were down 4¢, on 497¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino wethers were 39¢ lower, at 291¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Hamilton decreased 32%, to 6,154 head. The usual field of buyers were in attendance, however operated more selectively throughout the sale. Quality was mixed, with lighter weights suitable to restockers presenting in plainer condition.
Mutton numbers decreased 30%, to 3,199 Head. Quality was average to plain across most categories, with some good lines of crossbred ewes penned showing better cover.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to processors were up 17¢, on 532¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter jumped 4¢, on 529¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs held firm, averaging 512¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score first-cross ewes were up 2¢, averaging 291¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished on 488¢, up 16¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Merino lambs were up 7¢, at 472¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 3¢, at 498¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 2¢, to 516¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs held firm, on 510¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator gained 2¢, on 316¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?