Thursday daily sheep summary
31 March 2016
Lamb throughput at CTLX increased 26% this week, to 11,500 head. Quality was fair across the yarding, with some good drafts of trade weight lines. Lighter weights to suit restocker and processor buyers were also well supplied, with extra heavy categories more limited.
Mutton consignments increased 35%, to 4,700 head. Most grades were represented in what was a mixed yarding.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were 5¢ dearer, on 510¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to processors were up 31¢ on 522¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score Merino ewes averaged 237¢, up 2¢/kg cwt
Numbers at Hamilton increased 47%, to 11,408 head. Quality ranged from very good to average across the offering, with trade weight lines suiting processors varying on the amount of cover. Most of the usual buyers were in operation, with a dearer trend underlying the sale overall.
Mutton throughput held firm this week, with 3,774 head yarded. All weights and grades were on offer, with light weight Merinos well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers were up 50¢, on 572¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors held firm, on 536¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were 5¢ dearer, on 528¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes were steady, averaging 319¢/kg cwt
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished on 539¢, up 11¢/kg cwt on where it finished yesterday.
- Merino lambs were up 7¢, to 475¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 3¢, to 516¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 5¢, to 531¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 5¢, to 525¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator held firm on 300¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?