Thursday daily cattle summary
11 February 2016
Throughput at Dalby increased 7%, to 3,583 head, and quality was generally good. There was a large run of yearlings consigned from Bourke, NSW, and feeder buyers were active in the market, providing strong competition on the heifers. Some of the usual export processors were more selective on the cow portion.
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling steers returning to the paddock improved 2¢, selling from 275¢ to 390¢, to average 362¢/kg
- Heavy (400kg+) C2 yearling feeder steers eased 1¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to restockers gained 9¢, averaging 328¢ and selling to a top of 358¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows eased 4¢, averaging 241¢/kg
Consignments at Casino were steady, at 1,740 head, with around 1,300 head of young cattle offered. Quality was very good, with mainly prime milk veal amidst the yarding.
- Medium (200-280kg) C2 vealer steers to restockers jumped 10¢, selling from 310¢ to 371¢, to average 337¢/kg
- Similar weight C2 steers and heifers to slaughter increased 15¢ and 11¢, respectively, averaging 326¢ and 325¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows slipped 10¢ week-on-week, averaging 228¢/kg
Warrnambool yarded 1,922 head, up 10% on the previous week, and quality improved. The usual buyers were present and prices were mostly unchanged, the exception being young restocker cattle selling 5¢ to 10¢ dearer and cows making 10¢ to 20¢/kg more than last sale.
- Heavy C3 vealer heifers to the trade sold from 272¢ to 305¢, to average 293¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the same orders eased 3¢, averaging 271¢/kg
- C3 bullocks averaged 276¢, back 7¢, and sold to a top of 288¢/kg
- Medium E1 dairy cows sold from 118¢ to 174¢, to average 164¢/kg
At the close of Wednesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) closed at 594.75¢, up 3.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers improved 4¢, to 309¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers gained 2¢, to 283¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, at 285¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were unchanged, on 223¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers eased 1¢, to 320¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?