Tuesday daily cattle summary
03 May 2016
Numbers at TRLX Tamworth decreased 33% this week, to 1,390 head. Scattered showers had an effect on the overall penning, with young cattle and cows making up the bulk of the offering. Quality across all categories was good, with the usual processors setting the platform for the market and feedlot buyers more selective.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers were 20¢ dearer, averaging 319¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers averaged 269¢, up 4¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors eased 13¢, averaging 275¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter jumped 3¢, averaging 179¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 10%, to 4,395 head. Quality was mixed across the yarding, with the seasonal conditions having an effect on some categories. Heavy lines were in reasonable supply, with one major export processor returning back into the market.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 313¢, up 1¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors eased 1¢, averaging 291¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were 16¢ dearer, averaging 298¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same order averaged 220¢, up 9¢/kg
Pakenham cattle throughput increased 43%, to 1,367 head. There were a full field of buyers present and competing in a dearer market this week, with quality improving slightly across the penning. Supplementary fed lines were well supplied, while prime grass finished drafts were limited.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 302¢, up 20¢/kg
- Medium D2 yearling feeder heifers eased 4¢, averaging 279¢/kg
- Heavy D3 grown steers to processors averaged 299¢, up 8¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 551.75¢, up 6.00¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 306¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers held steady, on 273¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady, on 285¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 196¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 6¢, at 302¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?