Tuesday daily cattle summary
12 April 2016
Toowoomba cattle throughput increased 29% this week, to 1,310 head. Most of the regular buyers were present and active across all classes, with the market trending cheaper overall. Younger lines sold to strong restocker demand, with medium weight yearling steers to feed the exception, easing in price.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were 3¢ dearer, averaging 322¢, while those to feed eased 11¢, at 305¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to processors averaged 278¢, back 4¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were 10¢ lower, 213¢/kg
Numbers at TRLX Tamworth decreased 11%, to 2,412 head. Quality across the penning was notably mixed, with younger cattle making up the bulk of the offering. Grown cattle were limited, with the usual processor buyers operating keenly.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 316¢, back 8¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were 6¢ lower, averaging 296¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 170¢, back 19¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga increased 7%, to 4,895 head. The lack of feed, due to the drier conditions, saw a much bigger yarding week-on-week. Numbers suitable for the trade were scarce, with the bulk of the offering in secondary condition. Not all feedlot buyers operated fully, with increased cow supplies were seen across the pen.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 303¢, back 12¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers eased 9¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors averaged 283¢, back 13¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were 19¢ lower, averaging 221¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 560.25¢, decreasing 6.25¢/kg on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were up 2¢, to 308¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 4¢, on 292¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 281¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, on 209¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 6¢, on 301¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?