Tuesday daily cattle summary
17 May 2016
Cattle throughput at Toowoomba eased slightly this week, yarding 1,234 head. Young cattle quality declined, with export slaughter and feeder buyers operating keenly. Restockers were more selective, with most young lightweight categories trending cheaper.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were 15¢ dearer, averaging 304¢, while heavy lines to the same orders jumped 4¢, to 285¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 282¢, up 3¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter were up 12¢, averaging 227¢/kg
Numbers at Tamworth increased 24%, to 1,960 head. Cows were well represented, with vealer and yearling lines also in good supply. Domestic trade buyers struggled to fill orders, with quality across the penning notably mixed, and a limited amount of well finished cattle on offer.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 9¢, averaging 313¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers averaged 281¢, back 9¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were up 3¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to slaughter averaged 185¢, up 2¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga lifted 69%, to 4,724 head. A plainer trend underlined most categories, with a large percentage of lighter weights penned. Restockers operated keenly, resulting in dearer conditions for well-bred lines and dampened feedlot prices.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to feed averaged 321¢, up 15¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed eased 2¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 297¢, back 5¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were back 4¢, to 301¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to the same order jumped 1¢, averaging 227¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 568.75¢, up 3.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 320¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 3¢, on 272¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, on 283¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were steady, on 206¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 1¢, at 311¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?