Tuesday daily cattle summary
09 February 2016
Toowoomba yarded 850 head, back 18% week-on-week, and quality was fair to good. Most of the usual buyers were active in a dearer market, underpinned by strong feeder and restocker competition.
- Medium C2 feeder yearling steers improved 1¢, averaging 326¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to the trade also gained 1¢, averaging 311¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows increased 5¢, averaging 249¢ and selling to 259¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth declined 14%, to 1,284 head, and overall quality was mostly good. A full field of processors were present but there was a little less feeder buyer activity in a mostly dearer market.
- Medium C2 steers to restockers lifted 5¢, averaging 333¢ and selling from 322¢ to 340¢/kg
- Medium C2 feeder heifers also gained 5¢, averaging 314¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows averaged 238¢, up 11¢, and sold to 246¢/kg
Consignments at Wagga lifted 20% week-on-week, to 4,900 head. There were large numbers of yearlings amidst the offering and northern buyers dominated feeder categories. Trade yearlings and export cattle were in reasonable supply and all export processors were present.
- Medium and heavy C2 yearling feeder steers increased 10¢ and 6¢, respectively, averaging 321¢ and 316¢/kg
- Medium C2 feeder heifers improved 1¢, to average 296¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows lifted 5¢, averaging 235¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) closed at 592.50¢, up 2.75¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers were back 3¢, at 304¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers improved 1¢, to 283¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were unchanged on 288¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were unchanged on 223¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers gained 3¢, to 321¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?