Tuesday daily cattle summary
19 April 2016
Throughput at Toowoomba declined 8% on the previous sale, to 1,211 head. Buyer attendance was good but some feeder buyers were not operating. Some lines recorded improvement, but the majority of the market eased or held firm at best.
- Light C2 vealer heifers to feeder orders slipped 33¢, averaging 285¢ and selling to a top of 294¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to the same orders eased 9¢, averaging 264¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers declined 6¢, averaging 261¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows were steady, averaging 204¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth yarded 2,160 head, back 10% week-on-week, with good numbers of vealers and yearlings on offer. Quality was fairly mixed and most of the usual buyers participated.
- Medium C2 restocker vealer steers were steady, at 305¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers eased 2¢, averaging 293¢ and selling to 309¢/kg
- Medium C2 heifers to the same orders slipped 13¢, averaging 273¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows averaged 199¢, up 11¢/kg week-on-week
Consignments at Wagga declined 18%, to 3,995 head, with young cattle making up the majority. There was a noticeable increase in weaners and very light calves, while the number of heavy cattle on offer declined – a reflection of ongoing dry conditions.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers jumped 11¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Heavy C2 lines to the trade increased 8¢, averaging 312¢ and selling to 327¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers were steady, at 288¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers eased 1¢, averaging 282¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows averaged 211¢, back 9¢/kg week-on-week
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 555.50¢, up 0.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers were back 4¢, at 294¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers eased 2¢, to 284¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, at 277¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were steady, at 194¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers improved 1¢, to 301¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?