Tuesday daily cattle summary
22 March 2016
Cattle numbers at Toowoomba decreased 37%, to 991 head. Quality overall was very mixed, particularly in younger lines. A fair selection of heavy grown steers and cows were penned, with most of the usual buyers in operation. All young classes sold to a cheaper trend, while some lines to export orders were slightly dearer.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed were 15¢ lower, averaging 303¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 285¢, back 30¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors were 4¢ dearer, averaging 288¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter averaged 234¢, up 4¢/kg
TRLX Tamworth consignments increased slightly this week, at 2,202 head. Quality continued to vary across the yarding, with vealers presenting in good condition. Reduced competition was seen from feedlot buyers, on heavy feeder steers particularly, with the usual processors present.
- Medium C3 vealer steers to restockers were 6¢ dearer, averaging 339¢/kg
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers were 2¢ lower, averaging 304¢/kg
- Light C2 grown heifers to feed averaged 286¢, up 29¢/kg
Throughput at Wagga declined 21%, to 2,800 head. Leading up to the easter break, cattle in secondary condition made up the bulk of the yarding, with only a handful suitable for the trade. Not all major feedlots operated, with heavy cattle and cows limited in supply.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were 8¢ dearer, averaging 317¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 294¢, up 2¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were 16¢ dearer, averaging 236¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) decreased 1.25¢ on where it finished the previous day, at 586.00¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers were back 2¢, on 310¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were steady on 282¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, on 286¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 215¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, on 312¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?