Tuesday daily cattle summary
24 May 2016
Cattle consignments decreased 17% at Toowoomba this week, yarding 1,021 head. Quality throughout young cattle lines was notably mixed, with well-presented lines in short supply. Heavy grown steers were mostly supplementary fed, with a fair panel of buyers present and active across all classes.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 303¢, back 1¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling heifers to feed settled 16¢ dearer, averaging 283¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 234¢, up 8¢/kg
Throughput at TRLX Tamworth decreased 30%, to 1,363 head. With showers forecast for weeks end, local supplies eased resulting in a mixed market overall. Young cattle and cow sections were well represented, with quality fair to good across most sections. Well finished young cattle suitable for the trade were limited, with all buyers in attendance.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 323¢, up 13¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling heifers to feed were 9¢ dearer, averaging 295¢/kg
- Medium D2 cows to processors increased 2¢, averaging 187¢/kg
Numbers at Wagga declined 20%, to 3,775 head. Quality remained mixed, with yearling lines lacking finish well supplied. Lighter weights were better represented, with restockers benefiting from steady northern competition. Export buyer attendance was stronger week-on-week, with the usual buyers operating fully.
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers eased 6¢, averaging 286¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 321¢, up 2¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors were back 2¢, averaging 294¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to slaughter finished 5¢ dearer, averaging 232¢/kg
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 568¢, back 2¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were up 1¢, on 315¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 2¢, on 291¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady, on 283¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 1¢, on 210¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers finished firm, on 311¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?