Tuesday daily sheep summary
22 March 2016
Lamb throughput at Dubbo increased 22% this week, to 20,450 head. Quality was good across the yarding, with heavy and trade weight lines in notable selection. Lighter lines to processor orders sold dearer, while trade weight categories followed a similar trend.
Mutton numbers increased 8% to 11,260 head. Quality was good, with only limited numbers of lighter weights penned and heavy weights selling dearer in places.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors eased 14¢, to 520¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter jumped 10¢, to 523¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs were 29¢ dearer, at 527¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes averaged 302¢ up 2¢/kg cwt
Consignments at Bendigo increased substantially week-on-week, at 21,431 head. The usual buying group operated keenly, with a good amount of quality seen across the pen. Lambs showing finish were most sought after, with restockers and feeder buyers active on lighter lines, resulting in a dearer trend.
Mutton yardings increased slightly this week, at 5,765 head. Not all the usual buyers were in operation, with market conditions similar to those seen two weeks prior.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers jumped 25¢, to 556¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors were up 21¢/, to 530¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were 30¢ dearer, at 529¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score restocker Merino wethers averaged 328¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator increased 5¢, to 533¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 4¢, to 476¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 10¢, to 509¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 3¢, to 524¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 4¢, to 516¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator increased 9¢, to 294¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?