Tuesday daily sheep summary
24 May 2016
Lamb consignments at Dubbo declined 26% this week, to 17,865 head. A good level of quality was seen across most categories, with heavy weight lines in particularly good supply, along with a fair selection of trade weights. Lighter weights to processor buyers held firm, with the market trending mostly dearer overall.
Mutton supplies increased 2% this week, to 6,210 head. Quality was mixed, with some categories presenting in excellent condition, along with a fair percentage of plainer types.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors jumped 11¢, at 577¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were up 24¢, at 611¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 643¢, up 37¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score Merino ewes settled 8¢ dearer, averaging 366¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput decreased 36% at Bendigo week-on-week, to 8,996 head. Quality was slightly plainer, with less weight and finish available across most of the yarding. Bidding intensified on the better trade and export lines displaying better cover, with a dearer trend underlining the sale.
Mutton numbers declined 13%, to 2,013 head. Quality throughout most sections was particularly average, with the market finishing dearer on last week.
- Trade weight 3 score old first-cross lambs were up 17¢, at 567¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old lambs to processors jumped 25¢, 584¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old first-cross lambs averaged 606¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes finished 22¢ dearer, at 375¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator increased 11¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 567¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 1¢, at 515¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 1¢, at 549¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 1¢, on 559¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 4¢, on 566¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator finished 5¢ higher at 365¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?