Tuesday daily sheep summary
31 May 2016
Lamb throughput at Dubbo increased 34% this week, to 23,900 head. Quality was good across most categories, with heavy and trade weight lines well supplied, and Merinos well represented overall.
Mutton numbers near doubled week-on-week, yarding 12,180 head. Most grades settled cheaper, with quality varying across the sale.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors held firm, at 587¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were up 3¢, on 614¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 638¢, back 5¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score Merino ewes averaged 401¢, up 15¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Bendigo increased 43%, to 12,552 head. Merino supply increased week-on-week, with quality varying and better presented lambs supplementary fed. Bidding intensified for well finished slaughter lines, with domestic processors operating keenly throughout the sale
Mutton throughput increased 11%, to 2,242 head. Competition was good, with heavy weight ewes and wethers selling to particularly strong demand.
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs averaged 580¢, up 62¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 2 score old Merino lambs were up 55¢, to 589¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs finished 15¢ dearer, at 608¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino wethers were up 16¢, at 376¢/kg cwt
At the close of Monday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator gained 11¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 596¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 8¢, at 557¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 5¢, at 582¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 4¢, to 592¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 4¢, to 600¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 2¢ lower at 380¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?