Wednesday daily cattle summary
01 June 2016
Roma Store yardings decreased 1% this week, to 7,100 head. Medium and heavy weight yearling steers sold to strong demand from feedlot buyers, with export processor activity holding cow prices firm to dearer in places. Forecast rain for some western regions resulted in an increase in demand from restockers for lighter weight yearling lines.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers jumped 7¢, averaging 339¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed held firm, on 302¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers settled 6¢ dearer, averaging 292¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 226¢, up 5¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX decreased 16%, to 2,150 head. Quality was fair to good across the offering, with a limited number of prime young cattle penned. Those to suit feeder buyers were well supplied, selling mostly dearer. Cows were in good supply, along with a few drafts of well finished grown steers.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 330¢, up 9¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers settled 12¢ dearer, on 309¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors jumped 5¢, to 212¢/kg
Numbers at NVLX Wodonga increased 24%, to 1,043 head. Quality improved week-on-week, with supplementary fed vealer and yearling categories making up the majority suitable for the trade. Heavy cattle yardings, along with condition, improved significantly, with most of the regular buyers in attendance.
- Heavy C3 yearling steers to processors settled 14¢ higher, at 331¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 312¢, up 15¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to the same orders jumped 20¢, to 325¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 577¢, up 7¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were steady, on 320¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 12¢, on 285¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 5¢, on 291¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 217¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, on 316¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?