Wednesday daily cattle summary
03 February 2016
Roma Store sale saw 3,950 head penned a week after the Australia Day break and quality was good across most categories. The usual buying group were in attendance and operating in a market that generally sold to a dearer trend. Heavy weight yearling steers and light weight yearling heifers were in strong demand.
- Light weight C2 yearling steers to restockers were 353¢/kg lwt
- Medium weight C3 yearling steers to feed were 319¢/kg lwt
- Light weight D2 yearling heifers to restockers were 324¢ kg lwt
- Heavy weight D3 cows to slaughter were 213¢/kg lwt
Numbers at NVLX Wodonga eased to 2,600 head despite no sale last week due to the public holiday. Yearlings were in good supply and quality was mixed across all categories. Heavy bullocks and grown steers were in strong demand from the full field of buyers and all categories sold to a higher price.
- Heavy weight B2 vealer steers to slaughter were 17¢ higher on 321¢/kg lwt
- Heavy weight C2 yearling steers to feed increased 3¢ to 308¢/kg lwt
- Medium weight C2 yearling heifers to feed were 297¢/kg lwt, up 27¢
- Heavy weight C3 grown steers to slaughter jumped 23¢ to 297¢/kg lwt
CTLX saw a slight decrease in numbers to 2,849 head of fair quality yardings. Grown steers and bullocks were in short supply and a large numbers of cows were on offer. The usual buying group was in attendance and operating in a stable market.
- Medium weight C2 yearling steers to feed were up 2¢ to 324¢/kg lwt
- Medium weight C2 yearling heifers were 305¢/kg lwt, increasing 6¢
- Heavy weight C4 grown steers to slaughter increased 10¢ to average 284¢/kg lwt
- Heavy weight D4 cows to slaughter were 6¢ dearer on 230¢/kg lwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) closed at 589.75¢, up 2.25¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers dipped 1¢ on 310¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers gained 1¢ on 282¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 289¢, up 6¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows increased 1¢ to average 220¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers jumped 3¢ to 315¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?