Wednesday daily cattle summary
06 April 2016
Roma Store throughput increased 40% this week, to 4,515 head. Brahman cattle were well supplied, with restocker buyers operating selectively throughout the sale. Competition from feedlot buyers was subdued, with medium and heavy weight steers easing in price as a result.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restocker orders lowered 8¢, averaging 332¢, while heavy C3 lines to feed eased 2¢, averaging 292¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers held firm, averaging 311¢, while medium D3 lines to feed lowered 18¢, to 271¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 223¢, up 3¢/kg
CTLX consignments increased 75%, to 3,825 head. Well finished cattle were well represented despite the dry conditions, with limited numbers of grown steers penned. Young cattle to suit trade orders held firm to easier in places, with steers to restockers following a similar trend.
- Heavy D3 yearling steers to feed averaged 316¢, up 15¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers eased 3¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors dropped 13¢, averaging 221¢/kg
Numbers at NVLX Wodonga increased 6% week-on-week, yarding 1,530 head. Quality was mixed across all categories, with feedlot buyers more selective, and processors adopting a similar approach. Vealers sold to an easier trend, with most reflecting the dry conditions and quality an underlying factor.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed held firm, averaging 303¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 286¢, up 6¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were 2¢ lower, averaging 293¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 571.25¢, decreasing 3.75¢/kg on where it finished the previous day.
- Trade steers were back 5¢, to 308¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 4¢, at 296¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were back 1¢, on 281¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 2¢, on 216¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 3¢, to 308¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?