Wednesday daily cattle summary
17 February 2016
Consignments at Roma Store increased seven-fold to 7,495 head, with cattle coming from across south west and central west Queensland. Restockers and feedlots were active and prices held firm for the better quality lines but were softer in places.
- Early weaned light weight steers averaged 378¢ and sold to a record 418¢/kg
- Light (200-280kg) C2 yearling steers improved 3¢, averaging 365¢ and selling from 318¢ to 390¢/kg
- Medium weight (330-400kg) C3 lines to feeder orders were up 1¢, averaging 323¢/kg
- Medium D3 yearling heifers to feed on eased 3¢, averaging 315¢ and selling to a top of 328¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to slaughter gained 8¢, averaging 226¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX increased 28% week-on-week, to 2,110 head, and quality was pretty good in what was a generally dearer market.
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers improved 9¢, averaging 332¢, while heavier C3 lines to the same orders gained 3¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling feeder heifers jumped 21¢, to average 306¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter increased 9¢, to average 295¢/kg live weight or an estimated 537¢/kg carcase weight
- Heavy D4 cows improved 7¢, averaging 236¢/kg
NVLX Wodonga yarded 2,200 head, back 21% week-on-week, and quality was fair to plainer. Two additional export processor buyers were in attendance but not all processors operated.
- Heavy C2 yearling feeder steers were firm, averaging 314¢ and selling to a top of 329¢, while the heifer lines improved 4¢, averaging 290¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to the trade improved 3¢, averaging 289¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers improved 2¢, averaging 293¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished at a record 605.25¢, up 8.50¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers eased 3¢, to 307¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 4¢, at 274¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers improved 3¢, to 289¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows gained 1¢, to average 225¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers improved 1¢, to 325¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?