Wednesday daily cattle summary
18 May 2016
Numbers at Roma Store near doubled week-on-week, yarding 7,064 head. Large consignments were drawn in from across western and northern regions in particular, with the quality improving overall. Steer and heifer categories sold to a dearer trend, with all the regular buyers in full operation.
- Medium C3 yearling steers to feed were 58¢ dearer, averaging 322¢, while heavy lines to the same order were up 14¢, at 298¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to feed sold to 296¢, averaging 288¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to slaughter averaged 280¢, and sold to 277¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors held firm, averaging 213¢/kg
Throughput at CTLX increased 57%, to 3,210 head. Quality was fair across the yarding, with a large portion of young cattle penned lacking finish. Buyers operated in a mixed market, with well-conditioned cows and grown steers limited in number.
- Medium C2 vealer steers to feed averaged 317¢, up 3¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder steers were back 6¢, averaging 319¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown steers to feed were up 11¢, averaging 317¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors held firm, averaging 225¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga increased 60%, to 1,600 head. Quality was notably mixed off the back of higher prices last week. Domestic buyers bid strongly on supplementary fed lines, along with better finished vealers. Well finished heavy export drafts were limited, with not all export buyers operating fully.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed jumped 6¢, averaging 317¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers averaged 299¢, back 2¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors were back 9¢, averaging 302¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 572.75¢, back 4¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, on 318¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 11¢, on 283¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were steady, on 284¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 2¢, on 208¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were up 2¢, at 313¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?