Wednesday daily cattle summary
20 April 2016
Numbers at Roma Store increased 7% this week, to 5,100 head. Quality across the offering declined on the previous sale, with restocker buyers providing some good competition. Light weight steer and heifer calves improved in price, while cows trended cheaper.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were 6¢ lower, averaging 321¢, while medium C3 lines to feeder orders eased 7¢, at 291¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers averaged 282¢, up 4¢/kg
- Medium C3 grown feeder steers dropped 6¢, averaging 269¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 207¢, back 6¢/kg
CTLX throughput decreased 23%, to 3,000 head. Quality was fair, with a limited selection of prime cattle across all categories. Drying conditions were reflected amongst the offering, with young trade cattle selling to a cheaper trend week-on-week.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers eased 1¢, averaging 303¢/kg
- Heavy weight C3 yearling steers to feed held steady, averaging 306¢/kg
- Heavy C4 grown steers to processors averaged 288¢, up 23¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were 1¢ lower, averaging 205¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga declined 45%, to 1,075 head. Quality was mixed this week, with lighter weight vealer and yearling lines well supplied. Most of the regular buyers attended, with feedlot buyers continuing a more selective trend.
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to restockers eased 17¢, averaging 278¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to slaughter averaged 294¢, up 9¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors jumped 3¢, averaging 289¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 552.25¢, back 3.25¢/kg cwt on where it finished last week
- Trade steers were up 5¢, at 298¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were back 13¢, to 271¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers were up 2¢, at 279¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were back 1¢, at 194¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 1¢, to 299¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?