Wednesday daily cattle summary
25 May 2016
Throughput at Roma Store increased slightly this week, with 7,100 head yarded. Well-conditioned yearling steers and heifers were highly sought after from feeder and restocker buyers, resulting in a dearer trend in places, while exporters bid keenly on cow sections.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 332¢, back 10¢, while heavy C3 feeder lines settled 5¢ dearer, averaging 303¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers eased 8¢, averaging 286¢, while heavy D3 categories held firm on 276¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors finished 7¢ dearer, averaging 221¢/kg
Consignments at CTLX decreased 21%, to 2,550 head. Quality was fair across the offering, with young cattle lacking finish well represented. Cows presented in mixed condition, with well finished grown steers limited in number.
- Light C2 vealer steers to restockers averaged 319¢, back 6¢/kg
- Light C2 vealer heifers to restockers finished 14¢ lower, 273¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors averaged 231¢, up 6¢/kg
Cattle numbers at NVLX Wodonga decreased 48%, to 838 head. A plainer trend underlined the sale, with grass finished lines lacking finish, resulting in a spark in demand for vealer and supplementary fed yearling categories. Most of the usual buying group were present, however not all feeder buyers were operating.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 314¢, back 4¢/kg
- Medium C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 303¢, back 7¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to processors settled 3¢ dearer, on 304¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 567¢, back 1¢/kg cwt on where it finished the previous day
- Trade steers were back 1¢, on 314¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers were up 13¢, on 303¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers held steady, on 283¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows were up 4¢, on 214¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers were back 2¢, on 310¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?