Wednesday daily cattle summary
27 April 2016
Throughput at Roma Store increased 8% this week, to 5,500 head. Quality across the penning remained mixed, with steer categories trending cheaper overall. Weaner store steers were well supplied, resulting in increased competition amongst the restocker buyers.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers averaged 310¢, back 11¢, while medium C3 lines to feed eased 5¢, averaging 285¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were 5¢ lower, averaging 277¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors averaged 204¢, back 3¢/kg
CTLX consignments increased 14%, to 3,416 head. Quality was mostly plain this week, with most of the yarding showing the effects of the drier season. Vealers and weaners were well supplied, with most yearling lines selling to strong demand from feedlot buyers. Prime cattle were limited, with all the regular buyers operating.
- Medium C2 yearling steers to feed averaged 309¢, up 2¢, while heavy C3 lines to the same orders eased 4¢, averaging 303¢/kg
- Medium C2 yearling feeder heifers were 6¢ lower, 274¢/kg
- Heavy D3 cows to processors averaged 204¢, up 17¢/kg
NVLX numbers increased 40%, to 1,500 head. Quality was mixed, with vealers suitable for the trade varying in condition. Most buyers were in attendance, however not all feedlot buyers operated, with the dry seasonal conditions showing its effect.
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed were 9¢ lower, averaging 290¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors averaged 290¢, back 3¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter eased 1¢, averaging 288¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) averaged 545.25¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers averaged 309¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 275¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 279¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 198¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 298¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?