Wednesday daily cattle summary
30 March 2016
Roma Store throughput declined 38% this week, to 3,232 head. Quality followed a similar trend to yardings, with restockers operating more selectively across the pen. Store feeder lines eased in price, with the lack of feedlot buyer presence having an effect on conditions.
- Light C2 yearling steers to restockers were 10¢ lower, averaging 340¢, while medium C3 feeder lines eased 11¢, on 302¢/kg
- Light D2 yearling heifers to restockers were back 12¢, averaging 312¢/kg
- Medium D3 cows to processors were 5¢ lower, averaging 220¢/kg
Numbers at CTLX decreased 9%, to 2,185 head. Quality was fair across the yarding, with a good selection of vealers and yearlings penned. Grown steers and cow lines were also well represented, with not all the regular buyers present.
- Light C2 yearling steers to feed eased 3¢, averaging 309¢/kg
- Light C2 yearling feeder heifers jumped 7¢, averaging 287¢/kg
- Heavy D4 cows to processors were up 4¢, averaging 234¢/kg
Consignments at NVLX Wodonga increased significantly this week, with 1,450 head yarded. Quality continued to be mixed, with most buyers in attendance, however not all operating. Processor and feedlot buyers were more selective across all categories, with export buyer demand holding firm.
- Medium C2 vealer heifers to processors were 7¢ lower, on 308¢/kg
- Heavy C2 yearling steers to feed also eased 7¢, averaging 304¢/kg
- Heavy C3 yearling heifers to processors dropped 21¢, on 294¢/kg
- Heavy C3 grown steers to slaughter were 21¢ lower, averaging 295¢/kg
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The Eastern Young Cattle Indicator (EYCI) finished on 578.75¢/kg cwt
- Trade steers averaged 320¢/kg lwt
- Medium steers averaged 292¢/kg lwt
- Heavy steers averaged 284¢/kg lwt
- Medium cows averaged 218¢/kg lwt
- Feeder steers averaged 315¢/kg lwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?