Wednesday daily sheep summary
01 June 2016
Lamb numbers at Forbes increased 26% this week, to 29,339 head. Quality held firm across most categories, with well finished, heavy and extra heavy weight lines well supplied. Plainer types were also well represented, with the usual buyers operating in a firm to dearer market.
Mutton consignments increased slightly, yarding 4,016 head. Merinos made up the bulk of the yarding, with conditions holding firm.
- Light weight 2 score old Merino lambs were up 3¢, to 534¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score old lambs to processors jumped 3¢, to 599¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to finished 11¢ dearer, at 611¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 11¢ higher, on 605¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes averaged 416¢, up 20¢/kg cwt
Lamb throughput at Ballarat increased 15% on last weeks sale, yarding 21,463 head. Quality was good across the penning, with the usual array of buyers operating strongly in the dearer market. Processors, restockers and feeder buyers all competed on lighter weight categories, with heavier weight sections also improving.
Mutton numbers increased 80%, to 5,401 head. Quality varied throughout the sale, with the addition of some extra buying competition week-on-week
- Light weight 3 score old lambs to processors jumped 15¢, to 626¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were up 4¢, to 599¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 6¢ higher, on 612¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs finished 15¢ higher, on 603¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score Merino ewes jumped 30¢, to 372¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator gained 13¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 609¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs were up 7¢, at 564¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 1¢, to 583¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were back 1¢, to 591¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 5¢, to 605¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 4¢ higher at 384¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?