Wednesday daily sheep summary
18 May 2016
Lamb numbers more than tripled at Forbes this week, yarding 31,100 head. Quality improved across the penning, with well finished and supplementary fed lambs in good supply. The usual buyers were present and competed strongly in a steady market overall.
Mutton yardings recorded a more than four-fold increase week-on-week, at 5,800 head. Merinos made up the bulk of the offering, with quality improving across the sale.
- Light weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter jumped 7¢, to 568¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 4 score old lambs averaged 560¢, up 7¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs were 6¢ dearer, averaging 562¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 563¢, up 20¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were 28¢ lower, 382¢/kg cwt
Lamb consignments at Ballarat increased 56%, to 24,467 head. The usual buying group operated keenly throughout the sale, with most categories holding firm to dearer in places. Quality was very good week-on-week, with extra heavy weight lines presenting in good condition.
Mutton offerings increased 47%, to 7,096 head. All weights and grades were on offer, however not all buyers operated fully, resulting in a dearer trend overall.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors were up 16¢, at 591¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 3 score old lambs settled 24¢ dearer, averaging 578¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 545¢, back 58¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 2 score Merino ewes eased 21¢, averaging 334¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator increased 4¢ on where it finished the previous day, on 546¢/kg cwt
- Merino lambs held firm, at 520¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were back 2¢, at 550¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs held firm, on 565¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 2¢, on 561¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator settled 14¢ higher on 365¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?