Wednesday daily sheep summary
20 April 2016
Lamb throughput at Forbes decreased 3%, to 22,250 head. Quality remained similar this week, with a large portion of plainer lines penned, along with a good selection of well finished lambs. Heavy and extra heavy drafts were also well represented, with an additional buyer present and active in what was a firm to dearer market.
Mutton numbers increased 66%, to 8,350 head. Merino lines made up the majority of the offering, with prices lifting across the sale.
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to processors jumped 5¢, to 501¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to slaughter were up 4¢, to 510¢/kg cwt
- Extra heavy weight 4 score old lambs averaged 501¢, back 4¢/kg cwt
- Medium weight 3 score Merino ewes were 2¢ dearer, averaging 347¢/kg cwt
Consignments at Ballarat declined 9%, to 20,721 head. Quality across the yarding remained average this week, with the usual buying group present and active across most categories. Extra heavy lines to export presented in top condition, with a dearer trend underlining the sale.
Mutton numbers decreased 9%, to 8,299 head. All weights and grades were on offer, with lighter and plainer lines well supplied.
- Light weight 2 score old lambs to restockers averaged 490¢, up 3¢/kg cwt
- Trade weight 3 score old lambs to slaughter were 14¢ dearer, at 536¢/kg cwt
- Heavy weight 4 score old lambs to processors jumped 22¢, at 539¢/kg cwt
- Light weight 2 score Merino ewes were 3¢ lower, averaging 304¢/kg cwt
At the close of Tuesday’s markets:
- The eastern states restocker lamb indicator finished at 506¢, back 8¢/kg cwt on where it finished yesterday.
- Merino lambs were back 4¢, at 469¢/kg cwt
- Light lambs were up 1¢, at 485¢/kg cwt
- Trade lambs were up 2¢, at 505¢/kg cwt
- Heavy lambs were up 1¢, at 501¢/kg cwt
- The mutton indicator increased 4¢, to 320¢/kg cwt
Note: All yardings and prices referenced are from MLA reported saleyards.
Join myMLA today
One username and password for key integrity and information Systems (LPA/NVD, NLIS, MSA & LDL).
A personalised online dashboard that provides news, weather, events and R&D tools relevant to you.
Customised market information and analysis.
Already registered for myMLA?